Associate General Counsel, Corporate TransactionsUnited States - California - Santa MonicaLegal & ComplianceRegular
Kite, a Gilead Company, is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development and commercialization of novel cancer immunotherapy products designed to harness the power of a patient’s own immune system to selectively target and kill cancer cells. Our core technology involves the genetic engineering of T cells, or white blood cells, to express either chimeric antigen receptors (CARs) or T cell receptors (TCRs) for the treatment of advanced solid and hematological malignancies.
The Corporate Legal Group at Kite is seeking an experienced life sciences transactional/licensing attorney who thrives in a rapidly growing, high-volume, fast-paced, high-performing and collaborative corporate environment to join its team. Responsibilities will include (i) drafting and negotiating contracts and other legal documents in support of a broad range of client groups such as Business Development, R&D, Manufacturing and Tech Ops, Finance, Alliance Management and Corporate Development; (ii) providing legal support for the company’s existing collaborations and partnerships, including joint ventures; (iii) drafting and negotiating complex commercial, clinical and pre-clinical business transactions; (iv) and providing senior management with effective advice on legal issues and risks, company business strategies, and their implementation. This position will report to the Head of Corporate Legal at Kite with a preference for it to be based in Santa Monica, CA.
- Draft and negotiate a wide range of contracts typical for the life sciences industry, including pre-pre-clinical and clinical collaboration agreements, funded research agreements, license agreements, development and supply agreements and various vendor services agreements.
- Structure, draft and negotiate complex licensing and partnering agreements, alone or in collaboration with senior attorneys or outside counsel, depending on the transaction.
- Provide legal advice and support for existing alliances and partnerships.
- Advise internal client groups and senior management on contract interpretation, dispute resolution, product registration, legal issues related to the development, marketing and distribution of pharmaceutical products, corporate governance and other legal risks.
- Coordinate activities across a large number of individuals and various departments, not only within Kite’s headquarters in Santa Monica and its European headquarters, but also at the Gilead parent company’s headquarters in Foster City, CA, and throughout the company’s domestic and international affiliates in Europe and Asia.
- Advise junior attorneys and contract specialists on the preparation, negotiation and execution of more routine documents and agreements.
- Work with the Corporate Development team and other departments within the company to conduct and coordinate due diligence efforts in licensing and M&A transactions.
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures, and standard template language to be used in contracts.
- Provide litigation support as needed, including the drafting and negotiation of settlement agreements.
- Mentor and train junior attorneys and contract specialists in the Corporate Legal department.
- Effectively collaborate with and manage outside counsel.
- Juris Doctorate
- BS in life sciences or related field.
- Juris Doctorate from a nationally recognized law school.
- Admitted to practice (preferably in California).
- 10+ years in a law firm, or combined law firm and in-house experience advising, drafting and negotiating agreements, including significant experience with transactions in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Prior experience with or exposure to agreements with academic institutions and/or the NIH and other governmental entities.
- Familiarity with international regulatory processes for pharmaceutical products including biologics, and laws and regulations governing clinical trials, and marketing and commercialization of pharmaceutical products.
- Ability to manage and serve a wide range of clients within the company by recognizing and responding quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations and demanding clients.
- Ability to appropriately triage a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients and delivering results efficiently.
- Ability to think creatively, devise solutions to challenging problems and effectively drive issues to closure.
- Track record of exercising mature and reliable judgment while enjoying an enthusiastic, informal and fast-paced company environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Exceptional and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.