Head of Medical AffairsUnited States - California - Santa MonicaMedical AffairsRegular
The US Head of Medical Affairs will have overall responsibility for building and overseeing the strategies and tactics for Cell Therapy within the Kite Medical Affairs Department, providing strategic leadership for all Medical Affairs activities and developing and executing Medical Affairs strategic initiatives in the United States.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leads and manages the US Kite office and field based Medical Affairs teams.
- Collaborates with Kite Global Medical Affairs team in Santa Monica for developing and rolling out the US medical affairs strategy.
- Develops the US medical affairs POA and oversees the execution of tactics.
- Building a state-of-the-art US medical expertise across all Kite Portfolio.
- Responsible for ensuring the successful dissemination of innovative clinical information to thought-leaders and foster medical and scientific information exchange from and throughout the specific disease communities.
- Develops and maintains positive professional relationships with thought-leaders based on mutual respect and reciprocal scientific information exchange related to medical therapies. This includes obtaining feedback from the independent community of relevant healthcare professionals with regard to cell therapies and relevant studies.
- Leads the delivery of timely, accurate and succinct communication of fair-balanced clinical and scientific presentations to healthcare professionals, both proactively and in response to requests for information, consistent with promotional compliance and regulatory requirements.
- Coaches, oversees and conducts performance evaluations of Medical Affairs personnel via active observation of the team; establishment of clearly defined team and individual goals & objectives (quantitative and qualitative); and implementation of processes to routinely monitor progress
- Collaborates effectively and in a compliant manner with colleagues in other functional area
- Accountable for the overall budget planning and tracking for the US medical affairs department.
- Acts as a patient advocate to ensure the successful delivery of therapy.
- Local input into global clinical development and medical affairs programs.
- Defining and building an externally competitive level of clinical research on a national level.
- Ensuring credible, convincing and actionable information to medical community.
- Driving local publication of clinical trials and medical education programs.
- Developing and executing strategy and tactics for Medical Scientific Liaisons.
- Developing and maintaining investigators, medical thought leaders and cooperative study groups in Oncology clinical studies.
- Delivery against targets and cost control for all in-scope activities.
- Ensuring optimal safety, clinical oversight and highest quality standards.
- Accountable for local adherence to company procedures and local regulations across Oncology.
- PhD degree in life science with 14 years of Medical Affairs experience OR
- Master’s degree in life science with 16 years of Medical Affairs experience OR
- Bachelor’s degree in life science with 18 years of experience in Medical Affairs
- One or more of the following advanced degrees in life sciences: MD, DO, PharmD, or PhD
- Clinical experience in hematology strongly preferred
- Excellent strategic thinking skills, with demonstrated ability to successfully lead the ideation, development of a plan and move to action
- Proven successful track record of building and leading high-performance teams
- Possess a willingness and ability to work hands-on and with a sense of urgency, in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- Solid understanding of the US health care and regulatory environment.
- Experience of efficiently working in a matrix environment.
- Experience working in global and/or regional medical affairs roles preferred
- Existing contacts with hematology institutions and/or hospitals strongly preferred;
- Solid working knowledge of regulatory and compliance environment;
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively present to and engage with a wide range of audiences
- Computer proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Adobe®;
- Ability to travel frequently (+/- 50%)
Results orientation. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth environment. The individual will have a strong drive to meet and exceed goals, even under adverse circumstances, and is willing to take ownership of problems and make decisions in order to move forward. The candidate will be adept at clearly defining objectives and priorities and establishing appropriate milestones through a strong understanding of the market and innovative approaches. The candidate will assign accountability and incorporate disciplined processes to ensure success and nimbly handle ‘derailments’ with contingency plans and coordination.
Team leadership. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to build, develop, and motivate a team as evidenced by effective hiring, coaching, and mentoring of direct reports. Additionally, this individual will have a track record of successfully leveraging diversity of thought to achieve the highest level of results. The ideal candidate will develop an inclusive culture enabling the team to function comfortably within the current challenging medical landscape to achieve and exceed goals. The candidate will also have constructed an appropriate succession plan and process.
Strategic Orientation. The successful candidate will be able to articulate evolving priorities for the business, identify opportunities and adapt short-term plans. This includes the ability to strategically assess customer needs and build/execute specific, segmented strategies to educate and inform a diverse set of customers. The successful candidate will have passion for, and success in, developing medical affairs strategies that have measurable educational impact.
Collaboration and Influence. The qualified candidate must be able to influence at multiple levels within a matrix team, which He/She will do by demonstrating competence and confidence, being personally accessible and a good listener, use fact-based persuasion, passion, and persistence as appropriate to the audience and issue at stake. Gaining the support and involvement of key internal constituencies will be critical to success, as will influencing those important constituencies external to the company. The successful candidate must therefore have excellent skills at influencing outcomes and shaping and catalyzing dialogue across and outside the organization. Credibility and integrity are critical attributes to effectively command the respect and trust of key individuals.