Director, Commercial Strategic Insights - US Liver Business Unit (Marketing Sciences)United States - California - Foster CityCommercial/Sales OperationsRegular
Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops, and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide. Headquartered in Foster City, California, Gilead has operations in North America, Europe, and Australia. We are committed to transforming the promise of science and technology into therapies that can make a meaningful difference in patients’ lives. We are passionate about advancing treatments for – and potentially curing – some of the world’s most challenging and complex illnesses and bringing these scientific innovations to people in need. Focus on areas of high unmet needs, including HIV, HBV, HCV, Oncology, Inflammatory & Infectious diseases.
This position will support the Primary Market Research efforts supporting the US Liver (Hepatitis B, C, and D) Business Unit. In this role, there will be direct responsibility for leading market research to support ongoing commercial efforts in Hepatitis C (HCV) and an upcoming launch in Hepatitis D (HDV). This role may or may not have people management responsibilities, depending on the background of the candidate.
Specific Responsibilities and skills for Position
- Strong strategic thinker who understands the critical role of market research in developing commercial strategy in support of both in-line products and product launch. Ability to operate in ambiguous situations and determine focused objectives and a clear path forward in the face of open questions
- Strong data analytical and interpretive skills. The ability to meaningfully portray and effectively communicate complex quantitative data in an easy-to-understand format is required.
- Positive attitude and solutions-oriented approach. Creative problem solving. Open to new learnings and flexible in changing situations
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to lead, interact with, influence others, focus, resolve conflict and drive consensus among individuals from a variety of cultures and disciplines. Ability to work with a variety of personalities and skillsets
- Strong communication and presentation skills with an ability to efficiently and productively communicate both orally and in writing both to peers and senior management are required
- In-depth experience designing and conducting quantitative and qualitative primary market research. Demonstrated ability to ramp quickly and acquire in-depth knowledge and experience in multiple therapeutic areas
- Proven experience with global Sales and Marketing organizations and experience with pharmaceutical data sources e.g., IQVIA
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines in an environment of competing and changing priorities. Must have strong task management skills to include planning, prioritization, objective setting, and meeting management and plan execution.
- Excellent, flexible, empathetic, creative, reliable and demonstrable people management skills
- Ability to travel up to 10% of time
- Working with key stakeholders, plays a key role in planning, development and execution of market research plan supporting HCV products
- Manages HCV and HDV market research studies, including project objective, design, vendor selection and oversight, monitoring of data collection, data analysis and interpretation
- Develops relevant and compelling presentation of market research insights for key stakeholders, including brand leadership and senior management
- Mentorship and potentially management of other team members (both internal to CSI and external to function) to deliver high quality and relevant insights to a variety of stakeholders
- Present insights to key internal stakeholders, including Senior Management. Ability to tailor communications to maximize influence
- Working with diverse counterparts (Sales Analytics, Forecasting, Commercial Learning and Development, Managed Markets, Brand team), compiles and analyzes statistical data on past sales and trends to interpret market trends and, as appropriate, recommend corrective courses of action
- Keeps abreast of key market events and works to understand potential impact
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Bachelors in related field such as Psychology, Biology, Business plus 12+ years of relevant experience in market research, sales/marketing analysis, preferably in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry. MBA, PhD, or other advanced degree is desirable
- Significant experience conducting quantitative and qualitative primary market research is required. Expertise in a broad range of qualitative and quantitative market research techniques, including appropriate application of data collection and analytic approaches
- Experience working with secondary market research is preferred
- People management experience desirable
The Gilead Difference
Everyone at Gilead is motivated by our overarching mission to discover and deliver innovative therapies that improve patient care in areas of unmet medical needs. But it’s just what we do that gives us an edge, it’s how we do it. We expect everyone at Gilead to lead by example, guided by our core values:
- Integrity – Doing What’s Right
- Inclusion – Encouraging Diversity
- Teamwork – Working Together
- Accountability – Taking Personal Responsibility
- Excellence – Being Your Best